Monday, August 20, 2007

What Does A Sculptor Do While On Vacation?

What does a stone sculptor do while on vacation? Right after a big show? In oppressive heat?

Well, this sculptor has hit the beach!

On Sunday, August 12, we loaded up the remaining pieces at about 5pm. Oracle went home with a new owner, Rock Turtle and Spinner will be shipped to their new homes when I return to Colorado. I sold 3 pieces at my first time exhibiting at this show, so that is good. I also made some incredible contacts, and had loads of fun.

And, we were incredibly tired!

So, we packed our suitcases and flew to the west coast. Here we are visiting family, working in the garden, swimming in the pool and the ocean and all in all having a great time. The change in visual stimulation is excellent for an artist.

While in the ocean a Harbor Seal popped up within 15 feet of me...he looked as surprised as I felt when our eyes met. Another of my favorite beach critters are the pelicans. At home we have white pelicans. Here they are brown. The original Jedi fliers...tight formations inches above the water in the channels created by the waves.

When I got too cold in the water, I took a break and warmed up on the sand. I get quickly bored if I sit still with nothing to do, so I started sculpting in the sand. I had no tools, just my hands, so it was a different experience. The sand is so soft and sensual, it was a lot of fun. First I created a dolphin, about 5 feet long. That was fun. Even when the water came in and started to dissolve my work. It all felt very natural, like the tides had come to claim one of their own.

Later, after another dip in the water, I created a leg. Just one. Mid thigh all the way to the toes.

The temporary nature of working with beach sand has pros and cons. For me, this was a lark. Very quickly done and quickly lost. Not sure how I would feel about losing the pieces to the sea if I had spent days or even hours creating them. But going into it, you know they are only for a short time. So very different from creating pieces from stone, which, barring an accident, will last long after I am gone. Like everything in life, they each have their place and purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I urge you to check out the fastest money making website on the net, and earn some bucks, too! Visit NetLaborer Employment Center today!