Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Beauty in the Garden Year Round

I went to the Denver Botanic Gardens on Monday. It was the day after our first snow of the season. Here in Loveland we had slushy rain and snow fall, but nothing stuck to the ground. This was not the case in Denver where about four inches fell. There was still snow on the sidewalks where the sun hadn't hit.

Even still, the gardens were amazing. I will return in the spring to see more things in bloom since flowers are some of my favorite parts of gardens. There were some plants in bloom, some unique plants I'd never seen before, and the palette was fairly muted over all which is attractive in its own way. What was so beautiful about the garden now was the textures.

The boulders stood out more. The shapes of the leaves were more visible. The grasses were pronounced in their variety of feel, color, shape and size. The architectural backgrounds were revealed and appreciated. Even the walkways shone with their distinctive patterns of pebbles, flagstones and rocks. All of this was more evident because there was not the competition of more obvious eye candy in the form of colorful flowers.

The Chapungu exhibition of sculptures is also a fantastic addition for this time of year. So many of these pieces have been in crates for the past several years, it was as if you could hear them stretching at the room and breathing in the fresh air.

My friend Agnes Nyanhongo was not there. She had flown to California to visit with some friends. I did have the pleasure of meeting her brother, Brian, however. One look at the face of the gentleman walking toward me and I knew it was he. All the Nyanhongos I have met (and there are many more whom I have yet to meet) have a similar shape to the face and the same great smile.

It looks like I will be making a second trip to Denver soon as Agnes leaves for home next week.

If you haven't been to the gardens, go soon--and meet Agnes while you have the opportunity.

No comments: