Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shona Sculpture Exhibition in New Zealand

The wonderful stone sculptors of Zimbabwe are having their 3rd annual exhibition at a winery in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand. A gorgeous spot for exquisite work.

Louise and Bruce Stobart are originally from Zimbabwe and have created a special gallery, called Birdwoods Gallery. This gallery opened in 2005...and my visit to New Zealand was in 2000, so I have not actually been there, but the website tells their story and it looks like quite a nice place.

If I were nearer I would definitely pop in...somehow a flight from Colorado is not in the cards at the moment, but perhaps some of my Kiwi friends will go check it out and give me a report!

The Stobarts have no connection (as far as I know) to the director of the Chapungu Gallery here in Loveland, Colorado. I have met several of the sculptors and the director, as you know from earlier posts, and we have the wonderful gallery and sculpture park here to showcase this fantastic, expressive work. I'm pleased that the Shona work is having so many opportunities for exhibition around the world!

And if the treats for the eyes are not enough, you can get treats of another sort at the neighboring Summer Sweet Shop!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment and the link on your blog. My wife is from hastings hawkes bay. 'll tell her folks to have a look at the Shona Sculpure.

Yours Martin Lyttle