Sunday, July 8, 2007

I Thought Marble was Hard?

Wow! I've worked on a few pieces of marble before and they have all been extremely hard. Yesterday I was working on a piece of Colorado marble and it is not that hard at all. I know stones come in hardness ranges but this really surprised me.

I prefer to work with hand tools. I like the proximity I get with the stone that I just don't feel working with power tools. That's one reason. The main reason is the noise! I just don't like all the noise. And the heat. I get hot enough protecting my lungs and eyes...I don't want to have more body parts covered with big heavy things!

So, I work with hand tools as much as possible. It can be slow going with harder stones. So I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up this piece of marble and took a gentle swipe at it (no matter the stone, I always start with a gentle swipe!) This is going to be fun!

Off I go now to work on my marble piece! One more piece that will be done for the big show in a month!

No comments: