Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Seven Wonders of the World?

The day that the results for the Modern Seven Wonders of the World were announced I was disappointed that Angkor Watt in Cambodia didn't even make "the finals". Talk about incredible sculpture!

Later that day, I was working on a small piece in a soft alabaster. It started off wonderfully. Inspired by my friend, the incredible sculptor Agnes Nyanhongo, it was bust of a woman. Along the way, a crack suddenly appeared practically splitting the piece in half vertically.

Normally I work with cracks and broken bits by adjusting the composition. I figure the stone has an innate knowledge of what does and doesn't work and it is my place to work as a translator, not dictator. But a crack from neck to top of head--how do I deal with that?

I had to laugh when it occurred to me! Lo and behold, this bust resembles one of the ancient heads I recall seeing as a child in the jungles of Cambodia. Now I can create "banyan tree roots" spreading over the face, appearing to cause the cracks and simultaneously holding the stone together and pay homage to one of my favorite memories--seven wonders of the modern world designation or not!

No comments: