Wednesday, August 15, 2007

16th Annual Sculpture Invitational is Over

What a great weekend!

Hot. Busy. Lots and lots of people. Incredible sculptures of every shape, style, media, subject matter and size. Wonderful networking opportunities. New friends. New fans.

The people watching alone was amazing! It really helps you realize the diversity in the faces and body shapes that can make up a human being! Some of the people are such characters that if me created a sculpture of them people would accuse me of making them up!

We talked to countless sculpter lovers. Some were sculptors who were either on a brief break from their booth or who didn't exhibit at the show, others were locals visiting for the first time or the 16th, and lots of others were visitors to our town who came to Loveland specifically to see this show. Many return annually on an art prilgrimage--some to buy, some just to appreciate the incredible talent and energy that fills the air.

We were fortunate to be in Tent #1. People tend to start there and work their way around to Tent #8. By then, the sheer volume and heat have lead to glazed over eyes and brain overload. For the most part, the visitors were still fresh and inquisitive when they came by our tent. It was so much fun talking to them. With heat in the 90s and 100s, fresh and inquisitive doesn't last too long!

Our good fortune also put us on the north side of the tent. That meant we had only a little direct sun, and even that was mostly avoidable. Where we sat was a good 10 degrees cooler than the people in the center of the tent!

The variety of people at the show extended past the superficial. Sure there was that too--babies to senior citizens, all colors and shaped. There were those who asked lots of questions and those who preferred quiet contemplation, and others who weren't interested in my work at all.

Being a stone sculptore in a sea of bronzes was like a breath of fresh air for some visitors. Others seemed to think I was a waste of their time. That is one of the great things about this show--there is literally something for everyone.

One thing that also set me a part was I brought some of my tools. Since many people have a basic understanding of how clay and bronzes work they were very interested in learning more about the subtractive process of stone. Being a natural teacher I had a great time explaining and showing them some of the basics.

I met so many wonderfully talented people, and ran into old friends and acquaintances. Lots of friends came specifically to see me and my work. Others happened by and had no idea I was a sculptor. It is fun to expose a new part of oneself to a person who thinks they know you.

I am so grateful to all the volunteers without whom a show of this magnitude would not be possible. Also to the fantastic "neighbors" who took me under their wing, and the other new sculptors we met.

Over the next few days, as I catch up on my sleep, I will update this blog and my website and include some photos of the event. You really can't imagine the environment!

No comments: