Wednesday, August 1, 2007

One Week to Sculpture Invitational and "Flashes" of Brilliance

What is going on in the life of a sculptor right before a big, big show?

This week on the schedule are issuing press releases, finishing one last piece, polishing four otherwise complete works, creating bases, creating literature to hand out, testing my credit card procedure, pumping up the tires on my transport cart, getting my display props accumulated, getting all my materials gathered to safely transport the stones (stone may seem hard, but it the polished surface is subject to scratches if not protected appropriately.)

I have my sales books. My business cards arrived. New laptop computer is here.

Fortunately, we had a bit of a break in the heat. This made it easier to work. Whew! Keeping my fingers crossed that it will remain below 90 degrees for another 2 weeks.

I have been in the studio a lot. I found a new source for stone (one can never have too many stones!) And talking with other people who love stones is just so much fun! I learn something from everyone I meet. Many of these folks know lots more about the stones than I do (I basically look at a stone, it either speaks to me or doesn't...I don't necessarily know what it is called!) and I appreciate their willingness to share their knowledge with me.

One of the big steps I have is designing and creating bases for my pieces. Some of my works don't have bases, since they aren't necessary and for some pieces they are more effective without a base. In that case a little felt to protect the surface the stone rests on is all it needs. Other times, the base helps to give a sculpture a formal, finished appearance. And in other cases the base is actually an extension of and integral part of the sculpture.

Of course other parts of one's life don't stop just because the artist has a big deadline looming! Computers still crash, requiring replacements and all the work that entails. Since I had been considering acquiring a laptop, and the old computer was really old, this is not entirely a bad thing. However, I'm not sure I would have consciously chosen this timing! But the Universe knows better than I it seems! With the laptop I will be able to process credit card orders at the show much more easily!

Then there are my emotions. wow. I am nervous, excited, scared about having my biggest show in several decades. Having lost 4 friends and family members in 4 months has also had a toll on me. Compounding that is I happen to be right in the throes of menopause! So watch out for the crazy artist with chisel and large hammer! "Flashes" of brilliance, ha!

No comments: