Friday, August 31, 2007

Fall is in the Air

Fall is indeed in the air here. Kids are back in school, temps are cooler, especially at night, and it is Labor Day weekend already. Time to relax and get some sculpting in!

Driving by one of the hay fields today I was struck by the beauty of our mountains, as I frequently am. We live at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, near the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. I rarely see that sight without being so very grateful!

Today while admiring it, I was struck at how painters can capture the scene and I pondered how a sculptor might also. We tend to capture other scenes, rather than a landscape. Then I remembered as a child in Japan learning Bonkei, and that is a way to create a landscape "sculpture". Although designed to be temporary, I recall creating mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes, with various textures and colors. Perhaps this recollection will lead me to a new series!

Fall in the air--and perhaps in stone!

No comments: